Stateline Bean

Monday, August 8, 2011

Update from the Field

Good Morning All~

I hope that everyone had a great weekend!  I spoke with Dave this morning when I got in to see how things were looking and wanted to send you a quick update from the field.  Here is what he said....

On Friday, Dave saw the first sighting of the bean beetle in the Melbeta area.  He suggests considering not spraying unless you really need too.  Overall, he has seen common and halo blight, bacterial brown spot, and baterial wilt.  Grasshoppers are also creating a problem in some areas.

Extremely dry beans with some bacterial brown spot and blight.
~Photo courtesy of Dave Dietrich~
Dave's advice is to keep water on the beans in this heat, but be careful not to over water them...especially with some of the full coverage foliage varieties.  This may create a white mold problem.

I know personally, the grasshoppers have had a great time in my container gardens this spring and early summer.  I finally did what someone suggested to me and dumped a little Sevin on them...so far, I am amazed at how fast that worked and how fast my plants are coming back.  They are looking great!  I even have my first few tomatoes now!  I am super excited as this is my first garden of my own.  It has been a very rewarding process.  I hope all of our beans do the same!

No comments: